Monday, November 19, 2007

All Bank Activity Halted Until Further Notice

At about 3:50am SLT, I got an IM from Tyrian Camillo of SLIB stating that someone was depositing fraudulent lindens and to be careful. I looked at the bank records and saw a 10 million deposit from Betatester Allen who then withdrew $20,500. The account was disabled from Tyrian's alert and LL refunded back the $20,500.

I was checking the account to make sure they didn't ding us for 150% as per the TOS and as I was refreshing the screen, I watch the balance drop before my eyes. In a matter of 3 minutes, the ATM located at the Banking and Investment Center owned by Mateo Infinity on Vacit was hacked and payments made to an avatar by the name of Hamid Jewell totalling a little over 3 million linden running the bank avatar down to $24k. The exact total is not known currently since it was several transactions over the period of time and the legitimate transactions of the day are not showing up for me currently.

I have contacted Concierge and the Governance team are working on the issue. The alt account has been halted and the ATM returned. All ATMs are offline until further notice. All current CD accounts will be halted and returned to their account holders at their current balances. We are waiting for LL to finish their investigation and return the lindens. At that time we will evaluate the loss, if any and proceed from there.

This notice will be posted as many places possible and given to other banks to release as they see fit. I will update the market as I get information and I will be plugging at Concierge all day. I am taking off my RL job to get done what I can so I will be in world or at least in Gtalk if anyone wants to speak with me at lindsay.druart@gmail.com and I will gladly respond as soon as possible.

I ask that everyone keep calm until I get a resolution to this from Linden Labs. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Lindsay Druart

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the updates, Lindsay.

As an investor in LNLBT and account holder with the bank, I urge anyone to keep their cool and am confident that things will be resolved (quickly).

Lindsay and Luke are as always available to answer questions, so before anyone does anything in haste, talk to them and then decide what the best course of action is.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Servme. It all looks like LL has things in hand and I am confident the money will be returned in LNLBT's account. Anyone panicking will just give other investors some golden opportunity.

Valerian

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of this, although not a customer of the bank I am a modest shareholder in LNL.

I notice that the LNLBT share price has fallen to under 0.20, next market opening will find me happily buying up the stock dumped by panickers. Thanks guys!

I truly hope this does not lead to a run on the bank. There is a huge difference between a poorly run bank failing because of a shady CEO and LNLBT.

The bank has a great asset in it's dynamic CEO.

Regards and good luck.

Aeneas Whitfield

Anonymous said...

Ew... Well, I hope you guys get the money back, and find yourselves able to close this exploit permanently.

Good luck.